Throughout the 70’s and early 80’s, The Farm was a Mecca for a generation in search of the 60’s dream.
From the original group of around 300, the population grew quickly to 500, 750, eventually reaching over 1200. In addition, the community took in up to 10,000 visitors a year.
With much of its energy and resources going into outreach, the undeveloped infrastructure inside the community was unable to meet the demands of a growing population.
A recession in the early 80’s also placed increased economic burdens and there was concern that the land could be lost to creditors.
Many began to question the leadership and direction of the community and grew disillusioned with the failings of the communal system. Many people left.
After numerous meetings and discussions, a task force was created to develop a new economic and governmental structure which would place greater responsibility on all Farm members.
With the Changeover of 1983, each adult Farm member was required to contribute financially toward the annual budget and operating expenses for the community.
By 1985 the population had stabilized at 250. It was a period of introspection and a new beginning as The Farm worked to redefine itself.